Managing Velvet Disease in Marine Fish Hatcheries

Article Link:
Managing velvet disease in marine fish hatcheries.

Authors:
Roberts-Thomson, Ashley.
Journal:
PhD Thesis, School of Molecular & Microbial Sciences, The University of Queensland.

Interesting that there’s a test for dino’s!

Diagnosis of A. ocellatum has until recently relied on histology. To advance early detection of the parasite a PCR diagnostic was developed in the ITS2 region of rRNA. The test proved sensitive enough to detect 1 dinospore and 0.1 tomonts and will detect all available strains of A. ocellatum.

I noticed a hobby magazine had mentioned something about light sensitivity in velvet.

They are apparently non-photosynthetic, so I did some digging to see if there’s anything else to the claim and found the abstract for this thesis.  (Unfortunately there’s no public access to the complete thesis, but there are good summary points in the abstract at least.)

Experiments to determine whether the pathogen employed chemotactic or phototactic responses for initial infection were undertaken. The behaviour of dinospores when presented with fish mucus and varying intensities and wavelengths of light was recorded. No response to either stimulus was observed.

So they are not photosynthetic, nor are they apparently phototactic.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a website or blog at WordPress.com

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: